Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Closet: Jewelry Organization Part 1 - Old Set Up

I've always enjoyed seeing how other people organize their closets. This summer I reorganized my walk in closet to accomodate a small dressing table, my makeup, and my ever growing jewelry collection. More on that in my next post! For now, here's my . . .

Jewelry Organization - Old Set Up

When my mother passed away recently, my father gave me her jewelry collection. It turns out she had quite a lot of costume jewelry! At this point, I had a very small collection of jewelry, so I was able to easily organize it in a top drawer of my dresser in one of the drawer organizers you can get from Bed Bath and Beyond. I attempted to add some of my favorite pieces from my mother's jewelry, but that necessitated buying another organizer to put in the other top drawer. The rest of her jewelry I crammed in a three drawer organizer by color. Well, this worked for awhile, but then it started driving me crazy because I wanted to be able to see all of it more easily. Also, it turns out there was even more jewelry from my mother and that needed to be organized as well. Below are some photos of the old set up. Dear readers, you are in luck as I took photos for a friend last year. Otherwise, this extremely unique, never been done before organization system would have been lost FOREVER! (I'm kidding. Well, not about the lost forever part.) Beware: More crappy iPhone photos below. Look at your own risk! 

First Drawer: Earrings and a few delicate necklaces


2nd Drawer: Necklaces and bracelets



In the closet: 2nd shelf from the bottom.
This shelf contained my favorite longer necklaces, frequently worn belts, and in the white organizer: necklaces and pins that I don't wear as often. The long necklaces were hanging from a rotating tie rack I got at Bed Bath and Beyond, and the basket contained my favorite tights. (I've had that bear since I was a little girl.)


The Bottom Shelf: Jewelry overflow 


View of an opened drawer. I attempted to arrange them by color groups. (Exciting, I know!)





























Well, I'm off to bed. I have to go back to work tomorrow after a week off -- blech! The good news is that I was able to walk in my stabilizer boot today without crutches for the first time in two weeks -- F R E E D O M!!!! It feels so wonderful to be mobile again.

Stay tuned tomorrow for my new and improved jewelry organization system. I LOVE it. Well, really, I love my whole closet -- although it could be bigger . . . .