Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Swivel Revolution Top


Swivel Revolution Top


Happy early Birthday to Me! I went on a wee spending spree over the past couple of weeks. Don't worry, everything was discounted. :)  This was my little birthday gift to myself and a reward for making it through my work evaluation, (and the enormous amount of time spent preparing for it) and being miserable, in pain, and unable to walk or shop in stores for 9 weeks! (Plus, there's the tutoring money I rake in every week. It always seems to stretch to meet my every spending need. Ha, ha.)

With the help of my husband, I ventured out to Anthropologie during the 25% off sale promotion this week to check out the sale room and spend my birthday discount. I learned a valuable lesson, do NOT wait until sale time to use a birthday discount as it was more crowded and as such, the staff were very busy and a little less helpful than usual. Plus, I was uncomfortable hobbling around on my boot, and never more cranky about having to stoop and sift behind clothing on racks to find hidden gems.

 . . . to be continued below the review. 
(I'm trying to build up your anticipation -- some Anthro ranting to look forward to.)

I also bought, drum roll . . . two gray shirts! They came in other colors, I was prepared to venture out, but my husband agreed the gray seemed more me. I guess gray is like my green or blue for someone else. :)

On to the review! (finally)

I LOVE the Swivel Revolutions Top. It is so me. :D 

Warning: The delicate stitching on the arms has already ripped on one of the sleeves. It looks like a deep run in a pair of tights. I have no idea if I purchased it this way (duh) or, somehow managed to do it during my short try-on session and then dinner date later that night. If so, considering all I did was hobble in a restaurant, eat and then go home, I'd say the top is poorly constructed. I wish I hadn't fell in love with it. I'm sending my poor husband out tomorrow to try to trade it in for another one. They probably won't have it in my size and then I'll have deal with the whole birthday discount trauma again. I'm hoping it was ripped in the store as it was ill-used by some customer. Ha, ha. I'm willing to give it another try. I'll be folding this just to be safe.

Here it is layered over the Gathered & Give Top in gray. (obviously)

Gathered & Give Top



This is how I wore it out to a pre-birthday celebration with some friends.

With the Flipside Blazer

With my lovely bare white arms as an accessory.

I'll review the Gathered and Give Top soon. I trashed my try-on photos as the top REALLY needed to be steamed and I didn't really style it up.

Okay, back to the store trip rant:

Why does Anthropologie love to tuck things away? Beautiful dresses are crammed behind mediocre ones like an afterthought, instead of featured in their own setting. I especially dislike how clothing is stacked in shelves underneath tables to be overlooked or awkwardly discovered while stooping down, or on ones knees. Not especially easy normally -- try doing it with a stabilizer boot! I know, I know, it's supposed to be a treasure hunt. I get it. Couldn't it be a little easier? All grumping aside, I love the store and its quirky, if user-unfriendly aesthetic.


This is where I finally found the shirt I was looking for, the featured star on my birthday wishlist -- the Catalan Tee -- crammed underneath an out of the way table with stacks of plain everyday knit shirts. 


Out of everything I tried, this shirt was hands down, my favorite and my husband's favorite. The small fit fine, but the sleeves were a bit looser than I'd like. (I have STICK arms.) Of course, there were none left in my size, but I bought the small anyway and then ordered it online in XS to compare. (It is on backorder.) Hopefully, I will be able to get it, but I won't get the birthday discount . . . grrrr. Or can I? Has anyone ever attempted this?

Please, Anthropologie, give us a choice of using our birthday discount online or in the store without going through customer service hoops. (I'm shy and avoid dealing with CS calls.) I would have spent a lot more money online and I'd have been a lot more comfortable doing it. You know, retail therapy for dealing with this stupid foot for 9 weeks. It would be so easy to put an online code on the store discount card . . . .

I asked about a few things on my wishlist, but had no luck. I was prepared to get myself a nice full priced dress, but none of the lovelies I was eyeing just a few weeks earlier were there! I even toyed with purchasing the AG snake leggings but no, they weren't there either.

Negatives out of the way, I did score a couple of things in the sale room off my wishlist. Yay! I got the  Wispy Pointelle Cardi in dark gray and red, and then during the Black Friday sale, I purchased the white. I'm not keeping them all -- hopefully, but I am a serial multiple purchaser of items that I love. I am undecided about the gray, LOVE the red and really liked the white when I tried it on in the store, but wasn't sure if it would look good with sleeved dresses as it is so see through. I did score a few more things on Black Friday. I'll let you know about them as they filter in. Fingers crossed, it looks like everything is on schedule to ship or has shipped with no cancellations except for a popback necklace that I knew was a longshot anyway.

Blah, blah, blah . . . till next time . . . .